Provide community-based support: provide one-on-one sighted assistance and companionship for a person who is blind or partially sighted.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
1. Regularly visit a client in his/her home or other suitable environment at a mutually convenient time
2. Activities are determined by client need and mutually agreed upon
3. Approved activities are: reading, organizing, walking, assisting with errands or outings, and friendly visiting
4. All outings are on foot, by public transportation or taxi
5. Notify the client in advance if you will miss a visit; notify your supervisor if you will miss more than two in a row
6. When a client needs more support, service, counseling or information then you are able to give, refer them to staff
7. Track and report volunteer hours as directed
1. Do not cook, clean, provide personal care, do home repairs, give advice, provide counseling, or do heavy lifting
2. Do not drive clients
3. Do not offer advice or recommendations on treatment, health care professionals, or any medical information
Qualities, Skills and Training:
2. Patient, empathetic and friendly
3. Reliable, organized and able to work with minimal supervision
4. Excellent communication skills
5. Very strong English skills or willing to be matched with a client who speaks your native language
1. Minimum six months
2. Usually two hours per week on days and times that are convenient for the client and the volunteer (including eveni
Use the contact info below to volunteer for this opportunity!
Volunteers need a police check and three references.