Shelter Movers is a volunteer-based organization that provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children experiencing domestic abuse
Movers are key to our organization’s work in helping victims of domestic violence. Movers make up the bulk of our volunteers, so you’ll be in good company!
A Move Volunteer participates in each of the three types of moves: Urgent Exit, Escorted Move, and Resettlement Move. In a group of 2-6 movers, movers help pack and move a Client’s belongings. Movers who have a valid driver’s license may also be asked to drive the moving vehicles.
This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to make a Big Impact in a small amount of time. Each move is an average of ~4 hours, and you can sign up for as many moves as you would like. However, we encourage a minimum of 2 moves per month.
- Meet other movers at arranged time and place
- Move Client’s belongings in and out of vehicles
- Provide trauma informed care and respect for Client confidentiality
- Continuously conduct risk assessments throughout a move
- Maintain communication with all movers during move
- Transport client’s personal belongings to pre-determined location (Client’s children may accompany some of the moves)
- Liaise with volunteer team, private security, law enforcement
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 20lbs to qualify
Time Requirements: flexible scheduling, approx. 4-8 hours per month.
Knowledge & Skills
- Able to lift moderately heavy boxes/furniture
- Friendly and sociable
- Good judgement skills
- Able to cope with potentially stressful situations
- Able to maintain confidentiality and provide trauma informed care to clients
- Strong communication skills
- Flexible and able to adapt to change
- Ability to speak additional languages is an asset!
Qualifications & Requirements
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older
- No previous experience or education is required
- All volunteers must attend Volunteer Orientation in order to complete moves
- Volunteers are required to review move procedures which will be provided at Volunteer Orientation
- All volunteers must obtain police background check
- All volunteers will coordinate regular check ins with SMGT staff to support learning and performance management
- Driver’s licence and ability to drive rental vehicle are an asset
Move Volunteers will be provided with training in trauma informed care.
To apply as a mover, please send an email to: [email protected] indicating your availability, your interest in volunteering with us, and a few words about yourself.