Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only organization of our kind in Canada, and our volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse.
About The Driver Role:
Drivers use their time and energy to help our clients overcome these barriers.
- Meet the volunteer team (including other Drivers) at an arranged time and place
- Move the client’s belongings in and out of vehicles
- Drive rental vehicle and transport belongings to a predetermined location
- Maintain communication with Lead Mover and other Movers
- Respect client confidentiality
- Uphold Shelter Movers’ protocols and procedure
- Work with private security and law enforcement (led by Lead Mover) when necessary
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 20lbs.
We offer flexible scheduling. Drivers can join us on moves in two ways:
- By signing up for one move at a time, as their schedules permit, and/or:
- By committing to a regular weekly or monthly schedule
Most moves average around 4 hours, depending on distance and complexity. A minimum of 2 moves a month is encouraged.
Essential Skills & Knowledge:
- No previous experience or education is required
- Access to e-mail and phone
- Able to lift a minimum of 20lbs
- Drivers must be at least 21 years of age
- A class G2 or ‘full’ G driver’s licence
- Ability to drive rental vehicles (medium to large cargo vans)
As a Driver at Shelter Movers:
- You’ll gain hands-on experience on the front lines of our organization, providing moving and storage services for our clients.
- You’ll receive training in preparation for your role, and have access to ongoing training opportunities.
- Drivers who complete 6 moves within the previous 3 months can receive a confirmation of volunteering.